Monday 6 January 2014

MY FAVOURITE COLOUR IS BROWN


I finally gave in to repeated suggestions from various people to make a quilt in colours other than my favourite earth tones.  So, after finding a pattern for a simple chevron quilt I bought six half yard lengths of pink, green, yellow, and orange toned fabrics and then set to work. The fabrics looked so pretty together.

I started off very enthusiastically as I have always admired chevron patterned quilts and because I was eager to try out the quick method of making half square triangle units by sewing pairs of large squares together and then cutting them apart on both diagonals.  Making all those pesky half square triangle units was so easy.

It wasn't until I started pressing the seams open that I began to have second thoughts about the colours.  But I decided to press on and see how the blocks looked when laid out together.  Hmmm.  Maybe I'd like them better when they were all sewn together.

But as the rows progressed the doubts grew.  And my enthusiasm waned.  Finally the quilt top was completed.  But no matter which way I looked at it I could not find one thing to like about it.

 
 
 
Just thinking of all the time and expense still needed to turn the top into a quilt was disheartening.  Then it occurred to me that there might be someone out there that just might like it.  So now it's  folded up neatly and waiting to be donated to Project Linus. 
 
 
 
And now I can move on, or should I say back, to what I really love.   Earthy tones.  Especially brown in all it's many shades of tan, mustard, and chocolate.  I've spent the last couple of days cutting fabrics for two small quilts and couldn't be happier.  I'm no longer ashamed to say that brown is my favourite colour. 
 
 
  
On a completely different note, for Christmas Day my daughter Allison decided she wanted to have Apple Crumble for dessert as she is not overly fond of either Plum Pudding or Christmas Cake. She said she'd make it after work Christmas Eve, but when I realised she hadn't thought to buy the ingredients, I decided to surprise her and make it myself. 
 
I'd never made Apple Crumble before because it's Allison's specialty.  After finding a basic recipe on the net I added a few ingredients to create a dish everyone agreed was delicious so I thought I'd share.
 
 
Bronwyn's Apple Crumble
 
To make the crumble, combine together I cup of plain flour, 1/2 cup of firmly packed brown sugar, and 1/2 cup of rolled oats.  Rub in 100 grams of cold butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.  Then stir in 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts.
 
Distribute an 800 gram can of cooking apples evenly over the bottom of a 6 cup capacity greased baking dish, then sprinkle generously with nutmeg and cinnamon.
 
Spread the crumble evenly over the top of the spiced apple mixture and bake for 20 - 25 minutes at 190 degrees C until golden brown.
 
Can be served warm, or better still cold the next day when you can really taste the flavour of the nuts.
 
We served it with double cream, brandy custard and rich vanilla ice cream.  Some of us had all three.  But I'm not admitting to anything.
 
Enjoy!!  
 
 
 
Too late for a photo.  It was too popular!!
 
Happy Quilting,
 
Bronwyn
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Bronwyn, I must agree with you, the fabrics in the chevron quilt look pretty enough but those colours are definitely out of my comfort zone too.. good for you for giving it a go though, someone's gonna love it, I'm sure!!
    I struggle with making anything using contemporary colours & prints, so what's the point? I must say though, I love your civil war selection of brown prints.. they are ssoo yummy :))) cheers... Marian

    ReplyDelete